Dental implants in Ithaca are one of the most popular methods for replacing missing teeth. In this procedure, titanium cylinders are surgically fused with your jawbone and will act as anchors for a natural looking, false tooth. Implants can not only be used for individual tooth loss, but also as an alternative to dentures in cases where multiple teeth are missing.
Advantages of dental implants
- Extremely natural looking
- Fusion of the implants into your jaw make them very stable and comfortable compared to traditional dentures
- They last a lifetime
Disadvantages of dental implants
- Implants are expensive and a major financial investment
- The process of getting implants can be time-consuming and requires multiple appointments
- There is a chance the surgery fails (roughly 5% of the time)
Types of implants:
Only a consultation with Dr. John Comisi will tell you what implant type is best for you
- Root form implant: The most common type of implant where the screw is shaped like the root of a tooth.
- Plate Form Implant: A plate form implant has a flat and long shape and is better suited for a narrow jawbone.
- Subperiosteal Implants: In some cases where there is not enough bone width or height for the root form or plate form implant, a subperiosteal implant may be prescribed. This type of implant is designed to sit on top of the bone but under the gums.
For more information on dental implants in Ithaca call (607) 272-3433 or Click Here to request an appointment today.