Ithaca Dentist Shares the Benefits of Dental Implants
It’s quite common to feel self-conscious about your smile if you lost one or more teeth. At our Ithaca, NY dental office, our team has treated many patients who admitted to covering their mouths while laughing and even trying to avoid smiling altogether! Besides embarrassment, missing teeth can also lead to other problems such as difficulty while eating, difficulty while speaking, and severe discomfort.
You don’t need to live with missing teeth. There are several alternatives to solve your problem. Two of the best are dentures (removable false teeth) and dental implants.
Dentures have been around for a long time and have come a long way over the years. While dentures are more affordable than dental implants, they come with several drawbacks that are often the difference between patients in Ithaca, New York choosing dental implants over dentures.
- Not tightly secured in mouth, leading to slippage and movement
- Speaking may feel awkward and will take some time to speak regularly again
- Problems with eating
- The rubbing of the dentures on your gums may cause irritation and sores
- Regular cleaning and maintenance required
- Don’t last forever and will have to be replaced at some point
- Don’t preserve bone and can further jawbone recession and facial collapse
Dental Implants: The Better Solution.
Over the years, Dr. Comisi and his team at his Ithaca, NY dental office has found dental implants to be far superior to dentures for solving patients’ missing teeth problems. Unlike dentures, dental implants provide an actual tooth replacement that is secured within the bone. This reinforces the integrity of the jaw, preserving the bone to fight against jawbone recession and facial collapse. Dental implants also look and feel like a real tooth, eliminating the eliminating the embarrassment and discomfort associated with the moving around and slippage of dentures. Some of the other pros for choosing dental implants over dentures are:
- Extremely low maintenance
- Long-lasting, often permanent
- Aesthetically pleasing as it looks and functions just like a real tooth
- Prevents gum and bone deterioration
Before making your decision, give Dr. Comisi a call.
If you have missing teeth and want the best solution for your unique needs, give Dr. Comisi a call at his Ithaca, NY office by dialing 607-272-3433. His team will review your options and see if dental implants, dentures, or another solution is right for you.